Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Follow-up comments from Anita


My main thought since then about the tour and discussion is that I was faced with the actual age of our church. Having Alan in our group was helpful, as he remembered when we added different parts of the buildings and he pointed out the effects, the improvements, and the current needs. I've been compelled with the thought that our church has served us so very well over a very long time.

Somehow this tour made me want to return the favors to it--to do more major renovation to parts of it to match our enthusiastic mission together. I cannot say that I have felt quite this way until the tour. I have been in favor of correcting the accessibility, but this is a different kind of enthusiasm than I have had. It's more of a matter of grace or perhaps more practically described as "pay-back time" for us to bestow upon our plant that has served us so long and so well.

I don't mean that we'd have to do remodeling but rather that I feel gratitude for what the building has been providing for many generations and that it still does for us, to the extent that I'm aware that I'd like to see us invest more to provide for our current missions, and with an eye for the generations to come who will continue to receive as we do. The building is like an old saint who needs us more as it grows older but asks for so little in the face of the hard work it continually provides by its faithful presence.

-- Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment